Sunday, August 29, 2010

2 weeks...

So I have been in Puerto Rico for about 2 weeks now and I am starting to miss bits and parts from home... :(
Aside from missing the family, I have began to miss the food, the Mexican food I ate everyday.  I've discovered that tortillas are not part of this culture, and neither are chiles. Which are 2 key ingredients in all my meals.
Something I noticed from day one, was the dress code here. I noticed it especially in the women of Puerto Rico. Almost everyone, and I mean everyone, (with the exception of one person) goes to school/class very well dressed. Not well dressed like wearing expensive clothing or brands or formally dressed, but very well put together. Everybody. On most days, girls wear heals, make-up, jewelery, have their hair done, etc... something most girls back at home would do when going out. (I'm not saying girls don't do this back at home, we do, maybe not everyday, maybe only when there is time, or for example, not when we have class at 8am, but diffidently not to this degree. Not to class at least) Perhaps that is why at first, I felt like I was in high school again and not a university. I know its a cultural thing, I'd just like to know how or why it is so.

1 comment: